Interesting article. My opinion, while they may focus on other technologies, I highly doubt “Mac” will ever be completely removed from the Apple nomenclature.
Today Apple announced their next iteration of Mac OS, OSX Mountain Lion. I will be downloading the preview soon, but initially it looks like they have incorporated some of the popular features from the iPad OS. Can’t wait to try it out.
Yes, it really does control my car! 😉
I created a new ruby plugin that is used by plamoni’s “Siri Proxy”, a proxy server for Apple’s Siri assistant. This proxy server allows for the creation of custom plugins that can intercept recognized speech and perform virtually any function imaginable (programmable, scriptable).
The “Siri Proxy” plugin I wrote handles interaction with a php script that runs on my web server. The php script, which I developed months ago for personal use, allows me to send commands to my car which has a Viper SmartStart module installed.
Current commands accepted are: “Vehicle Arm”, “Vehicle Disarm”, “Vehicle Start”, “Vehicle Stop”, “Vehicle Pop Trunk”, and “Vehicle Panic”.
–UPDATE: Now it also responds to more conversational commands such as “Start my car”, “Lock my car”, “Pop my trunk”, etc…
I may change the command wording a bit later. This was just a proof of concept. We’ll see.
- Siri Proxy & DNSMasq box – Ubuntu 11.04 Server VM
- LAMP server – Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server
More info upon request, demo video coming soon!
–UPDATE: Video Proof Can Be Found Here
–UPDATE 2: Video Proof With My Car
- Click Here to Sign Up! – 2.25GB FREE
- Complete the Getting Started Tour and get 250MB – 2.25GB + 250 MB = 2.50 GB
- Connect to your social accounts and get 768 MB – 2.50GB + 768 MB = 3.26 GB
- Complete the Dropquest 2011 for an additional 1 GB – 3.26 GB + 1 GB = 4.26 GB
- Earn up to 8 GB by referring friends or 16 GB if you have a .edu address