Why should I get a HAM radio & license?
- How will I communicate with friends/family in a disaster scenario when internet/cellular/land communications are disrupted?
- Could I be helpful in coordinating and relaying messages related to emergency and disaster relief?
What is HAM radio?
- Amateur radio (also called ham radio) is the use of designated radio frequency spectra for purposes of private recreation, non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, and emergency communication.
Do I need a license? Yes
- There are 3 levels:
How much would it cost to get started? $45
- FREE – Find an Elmer (HAM mentor) to help you
- FREE – study tools and videos
- $15 – examination by a VE (Volunteer Examiner) Find local exam session here
- $30 – basic VHF/UHF radio BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band Radio
Who can get a tech license? Is the test hard?
- Just about anyone could take the technician’s exam and pass after putting forth a little effort studying and taking practice tests
- For Moms, Dads, Sons, Daughters, Sisters, Grandparents, etc.. 8 years old and up
- Learning morse code is no-longer a requirement
- Basic math, no algebra or calculus required
- Simple electronics